Open as PDF
Related service information 159
1. Use product-specific ESD procedures when they
exceed the requirements noted here.
2. Make sure that the ESD protective devices you use
have been certified (ISO 9000) as fully effective.
When handling ESD-sensitive parts:
• Keep the parts in protective packages until they are
inserted into the product.
• Avoid contact with other people.
• Wear a grounded wrist strap against your skin to elimi-
nate static on your body.
• Prevent the part from touching your clothing. Most
clothing is insulative and retains a charge even when
you are wearing a wrist strap.
• Use the black side of a grounded work mat to provide a
static-free work surface. The mat is especially useful
when handling ESD-sensitive devices.
• Select a grounding system, such as those listed below,
to provide protection that meets the specific service
Note: The use of a grounding system is desirable but
not required to protect against ESD damage.
— Attach the ESD ground clip to any frame ground,
ground braid, or green-wire ground.
— Use an ESD common ground or reference point
when working on a double-insulated or battery-
operated system. You can use coax or connector-
outside shells on these systems.
— Use the round ground-prong of the ac plug on ac-
Electrical grounding of the computer is required for operator
safety and correct system function. Proper grounding of the
electrical outlet can be verified by a certified electrician.
Safety notices (multi-lingual
The caution and danger safety notices in this section are
provided in the following languages: